Vision and Mission
- Promoting International understanding through quality education.
- To inculcate spirit of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’ (the world is one family)
- To promote ethical and value-based learning
- To inculcate cross cultural sensitization
- To nurture creativity and encourage entrepreneurship
- To promote health and wellness amongst students, staff and community
- To produce thought provoking leaders for the society
- To contribute towards knowledge generation and dissemination
- To foster the spirit of national development
- To develop global competencies amongst students
- To enhance employability and contribute to human resource development
- To install sensitivity amongst the youth towards the community and environment
SID is one of the largest design institutes in the country having built up of area more than 80,000 sq.ft. The campus of Symbiosis Institute of Design at Viman Nagar houses state-of-the-art design studios, laboratories, workshops, IT infrastructure, rapid prototyping lab, well-equipped class rooms, library, exhibition areas, seminar hall, conference hall etc. The campus also has an amphitheater, ultra-modern auditorium and academic plaza for various activities including design shows. The entire campus is Wi-Fi enabled.
Having more than 10,881 books related to design, art, craft, graphics, advertising, film and video, animation, furniture, architecture, textile, pattern making, visual merchandising, illustration, jewelry etc., more than 90 national & international periodicals and 9 online journals. A special collection of ‘Promostyl’ forecast magazines related to fashion, as well as 1065 Audio-Visual material on different topics and subjects. Library has KOHA software and is using DDC for classification. We have introduced alumni membership as well as corporate membership.
LABS, STUDIOS & WORKSHOPS:
Well-equipped model making (Metal & Non-Metal) Workshops, Clay and Ceramic Studio, Rapid Prototyping, Laser Cutting & Engraving and Cintiq Lab, Computer Lab, Digital Instruction Lab, User Experience Lab, Recording and Editing Studio, CAD Lab, Material Library, 2D & 3D Animation Lab, Animation Studios, Photography Lab, Printing Lab, Film and Video Studio, Garment Construction Lab, Pattern Making Lab and Textile Lab.
To ensure active participation of students in education process Photography Club, Sports Club, Animation Club, Sketching Club, Performing Arts Club, Film Club and Graphics Club are active at the institute. This helps the students to be a part of extracurricular activities and present their talent and managerial skills. The Institute has a policy of funding such club activities.
We have two hostels for girl students 1.5 km away from the Viman nagar campus. Symbiosis Girls Hostel B Wing (Rohan Mithila) with 330 seats capacity having rooms with three sharing basis and Girls Hostel C Wing (Rohan Mithila) with 410 seats having rooms with twin sharing basis. Hostel accommodations are shared with two more institutes on the same campus. Seats are available on first come first serve basis only. Dining Hall, hot water supply, generator backup, round the clock security and housekeeping as well as laundry services are provided at the hostels. Cable TV connections and refrigerator are also available as common facility. Girls Hostels are 1.2 km away from Campus and has shuttle bus service from and to the campus. Limited seats for boys should be available in 2017-18.
SYMBIOSIS VIMAN NAGAR CAMPUS HAS THE FOLLOWING FACILITIES:
- Auditorium- State of the art, well-furnished and equipped, fully Air-conditioned having seating capacity of 585. The Auditorium has full capacity generator backup.
- Amphitheatre and Campus Plaza- For recreational activities.
- Canteen- with Veg and Non-Veg menu.
- Juice Bar- Fresh Juices, Shakes, fresh cut fruits, etc
- Coffee Day Xpress- Coffee and Snacks
- Corporation Bank ATM
- Sports Ground- For Sports / Games
- Rangoli Stores- Stationery Items, FMCG Products, Art and Drawing Materials, etc.
The institute offers four years degree programme, Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) in following 8 specializations.
- Graphic Design (GD)
- Video Film Design (VFD)
- Animation Film Design (AFD)
- User Experience Design (UED)
- Product Design (PD)
- Interior Space Design (ISD)
- Fashion Design (FD)
- Fashion Communication (FC)
The specializations mentioned from 1 to 4 above fall under the discipline Communication Design (CD) and 5 to 6 falls under Industrial Design (ID).
The programme is aimed at creating professionals who can contribute to the highly dynamic and competitive world of design. The approach here is entirely project based. The institute puts high emphasis on evaluating the students on the basis of continuous performance and projects.
METHOD OF INSTRUCTION
- Design is an intuition, an outcome of a subconscious thought that leads us to a deeper sense of knowing and offering four major streamlines as Communication Design, Industrial Design, Fashion Communication and Fashion Design in the form of four years Graduate Degree comprising of eight semesters.
- Intuition is akin to an elongated insight that tells us we are on to something dynamic to face the competitive world of design.
- Design also involves reason that assesses the problem and analyzes the possibilities for solution. It is the analytical process that relies on method and logic to assess, refine, and verify its various hypotheses. At SID, this reflects in the evaluation methods of the student’s project based assignments on the basis of daily performances.
- The medium of instruction is English.
The Graphic Design graduates find employment opportunities as Graphic Designers, Brand identity Developers, Logo Designers, Visual Image Developers, Multimedia Developers, Packaging Designers, Typography and Publication Designers and so on in various fields like Advertising, Graphic Design, Communication and Printing Industry and Professions, Audio-Visual Production, UX/UI Design and so on.
USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN:
The UED graduates are placed in leading software companies in the domain of UX & Interaction Design in the role of Interface Designer, User Experience Designer, Web Designer, Mobile Application Interface Designer, Game Designer and so on.
ANIMATION FILM DESIGN:
The AFD graduates are working in the areas of Advertising, Experimental Animation, VFX, 2D Animation, 3D Animation, Pre-production and Character Design in Films, Television Channels, Advertising, Marketing, e-Content Development and other related fields.
VIDEO FILM DESIGN:
The VFD graduates are working in Film, Television and Advertising Industry as Producers, Director, Assistant Director, Cinematographer and Editors. Many of them are working with Online Media. Some of them are also working independently under their own production units.
The Industrial Design (Product Design) graduates are part of design teams in both large design and manufacturing establishments as well as smaller, independent design firms. They work as part of a larger team, creating products from concepts to drawings to prototypes to taking it into production in the domains of Transportation, White Goods, Furniture and Interior, Engineering Products & Systems, Consumer Goods, Craft based Products, Accessories, Personal User Products, Kitchen Tools and Appliances, New Age Electronics and IT Products & Systems, UX Design, Interaction and so on.
The Fashion Design graduates are working with Fashion, Luxury and Lifestyle Industry as Fashion Designers, Freelance Design Consultants, Stylists, Costume Designers, Fashion Forecasters, Illustrators, Entrepreneurs, Academicians, Fashion Merchandisers and Buyers.
The Fashion Communication graduates are placed in the Fashion and Lifestyle Industry in the domains of; Trend Forecasting, Fashion Journalism, Public Relations, Visual Merchandising, Fashion Advertising, Style Consultants, Identity Designers for Corporate World and Events Management.
Standard XII (10+2) or equivalent examination passed from any recognized board OR equivalent government approved diploma (10+3) with minimum 50% marks or equivalent grade (45% marks or equivalent grade for Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribes).
The candidate should possess Creative Aptitude & Skills necessary to pursue Design Education as well as adoptability to the situations, which the profession demands.
Candidates with the relevant portfolio would be preferred.
*Subject to approval of SIU.
Note:Seats available would be offered strictly on the basis of Merit and Reservations to the deserving candidates. It is not obligatory for SID to fill all the available seats.
Within the sanctioned intake:
SC - 15 %
ST - 7.5 %
Differently abled(DA) - 3.0 %
Over and above sanctioned intake:
International Students - 15%
Kashmiri Migrants - 2 Seats
IMPORTANT DATES RELATED TO INSTITUTES:
Online Registration for SET 2018 and SID at www.set-test.org begins
January 24, 2019, Thursday
Last date for online registration and payment to SET
April 15, 2019, Monday
Last date for online application to SID
||May 10, 2019, Friday
From: April 20, Saturday
To: May 04, 2019, Saturday
May 04, 2019, Saturday (9.30 am to 12.00 noon)
Declaration of SET for Design result at www.set-test.org
May 14, 2019, Tuesday
Short list of candidates for Studio Test at www.sid.edu.in
||May 17, 2019, Friday
Studio Test and Personal Interaction at SID, Pune
||From: May 28, Tuesday
To: June 01, 2019, Saturday
Declaration of First Merit list
||June 06, 2019, Thursday
Registration period for the First Merit List Candidates
||From: June 06, Thursday
To: June 11, 2019, Tuesday
Last date for Registration to the Programme
||June 23, 2019, Sunday
|Commencement of the Programme
||July 02, 2019, Tuesday
Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID)
S.No. 231/3A-4, Viman Nagar,
Pune 411 014.
:(EPABX):+91 020 2663 4546 / 47 / 48.
:(Admissions):+91 020 2663 4546 / 47 / 48 Ext. 203
:(Fax):+91 020 2663 4549
IMPORTANT TELEPHONE NUMBERS, E-MAIL IDS AND WEBSITE
: +91 20 65613770
Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Officer - email@example.com
Admission Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org